5-6 years ago, after reading about the uber velocities attained with RL22, I had to try some......

Out of two 22 inch barreled 270's, I got 50-75 fps better velocities with 150 gr Noz PT's and BT's. Accuracy was as good as my old standby H4831 with fullhouse charges of powder.

Then I read about temp sensitivity and some of the RL powders........

Soooo...I still had 20-30 rounds leftover for each rifle from the year's hunts. I always record temps at the range when I chrono, I keep the rifle relatively cool, and don't let the rounds cook in the chamber.

I waited until we had some single digit nights, put the rifles and ammo under the camper shell to "cold soak" overnight.

At the range the next morning, with the truck parked right next to the bench, the chrono in the warm cab and the cable strung to the screens, I repeated my summer's shot strings at ambient temps starting out at 8 degrees and finishing up at about 15 degrees.

Lost ~80 fps average in one rifle, ~110 fps in the other rifle. And my ES went from 22-29 fps respectively for the two rifles, to 80-128 fps respectively for the rifles.

So.....for my 270's with Nosler 150 grainers, RL22 was temp sensitive--a LOT more temp sensitive than H4831 loads that I've since tested in cold weather........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.