65BR;
The interesting thing about moose is that they come in such a variety of sizes - much like deer I suppose.

So while a good moose in my part of the world would go 475lbs into the cooler, one in Klikitarik's or Yukoner's neighborhood could easily double that.

The lone moose I've killed went roughly 360lbs into the cooler and was taken to that place initially by 2 Hornady 220gr RN bullets out of a .308 Norma.

Neither exited on broadside hits in the heart/lung area and both bullets lost roughly half their weight while killing the moose.

Were the bullets a failure?

No, we ate moose meat so they weren't, but I wouldn't want to fight a bear with the bullets based upon the penetration I saw in that moose or the young whitetail buck I shot with that bullet as well.

In comparison, we've yet to find a 130gr. TSX in 4 deer shot with our daughter's 6.5x55 and from what I've seen with that bullet, I'd give it good odds at out-penetrating a .308" 220gr RN.

I'd chase local elk with our daughter's Swede without too much trepidation, but would likely want to limit myself to broadside shots. Then again, that's likely what I'd limit myself to with the .270 I carry with 130gr. GMX or the .308 Norma with 168gr TSX.

Anyway, there are a few random thoughts from one who lives where medium sized big game lives.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"