1984, actually whittled down my safe ALOT over the years and mostly using 6.5s of late, some 6BRs recently. Sold my 338/06 asap after Rem had to Re-Attach the handle on the bolt that just fell off on the first shot after a CO elk/Mulie hunt.

Contemplated another 350 (buddy borrowed, laid a 10pt WT low, HAD to have it- so I obliged, so that 77 MK2 and a prior mint 600 both went down the road). Also on the 'A List' for a gun for a potential trip to Alaska, is MAYBE another 338/06, but perhaps to try something new to me, a 9.3x62.

If I wanted to K.I.S.S. for a mid bore, a 338 WM or 375 H&H for factory rifle/ammo options, and either would be an M70 likely, but ABSOLUTELY not a 700.

Can you imagine standing there w/a Bolt handle in your hand scratching your head, if a Bear is bearing down on you?

I wonder how many Bear have been killed well, w/say a 270 and 150 or 160 Partition? As one would assume it's been used more often on them just because of popularity, and one might think a similarly loaded Swede might offer similar results. Just thinking.

No doubt, Elk and Big Bears would soak up more lead/copper than Moose, or at least potential travel further. Living in the South does not afford me the experience you guys have on those large game - appreciate all the feedback.

I'd not likely tromp around solo w/a 6.5, but if I had my partner next to me a larger rifle, I might just take aim if it were in hand and a good opportunity was present - not REAL close - by choice mind you.

Odds are I may well carry two rifles, a 6.5 and something from .338 - .366, if I can get to AK.

Appreciate all comments.