Originally Posted by badger

Yup,

I wouldn't buy an off lease BMW simply because the driver of a leased BMW is going to change the oil when the car tells him to and not when common sense dictates. The Service Indicator will allow oil change intervals of up to 15k miles (BMW's have a 4 year 50k mile "free maintenance" package with the purchase). Funny how those oil change intervals doubled when the free maintenance was introduced. BMW knows the cars will probably go 100k miles with that kind of maintenance, but I know they won't go much further than that........

Exactly. They are really screwing people with that crap. Took my wife's in last week because the engine light came on and asked if they'd go ahead do the first oil change since it had been 10K and almost a year.

They smugly said no, not until 1 year or 15K miles. So now I have to waste my time again in a few weeks to drive 25 miles back to the dealership.

A$$holes. There is nothing magic about BMW filters and Castrol oil. They just figure the problems will be well after the warranty ends.

[Linked Image]