Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

But most times there is no reason to shoot a deer in the face or at angles which requires the bullet to go from the front to the back of the deer - or to shoot one in the buttock just so you can get a deer. I'm not that desperate for a deer....

The bullet from the 250 Savage was the SECOND shot into the deer. The first went thru the chest and thru both lungs. Hunters in my area are known for stealing your deer if it makes it to them so when the deer stopped after the first shot, I put the second shot into the deer to drop it.

I won't take a shot at a deer just to take the shot. I know what my guns and ammo are capable of. If I can get the bullet thru the vitals, I don't care if it has to travel thru 20-24" of deer. Contrary to all the "experts" in the magazines and T.V. Hunting shows, you don't need a deer broadside & standing still to kill it. Any deer gun shooting good bullets is entirely capable of traveling thru a deer at almost any angle and still kill it quickly. If you wait for the "perfect" shot in my areas, you eat alot of tags. In 30+ years of hunting I have lost exactly 2 deer I have shot at and they where on broadside shots where the bullet blew up on the shoulder [100gr Ballistic tip] or went thru the brisket.

As far as digging the bullet out of the trees [38-55 and 260] I did it the next day after recovering the deer. In the case of the 38-55, seeing the bullet hole in the tree sideways told me that I didn't miss the deer and to keep looking for blood. 50 yds from that tree I found the first drop of blood and then started following the trail to the deer.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 12/30/10.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.