Originally Posted by geedubya
CH,
You must be kin to big stick if you can hit clay targets at 600 yds. without irons or optics. Need to git me one of those. Just point in the general direction and it does the rest. Only on the internet.
Best
GWB

I guess every rifle you own came with a scope attached???

That picture was taken right after I got the rifle back from Krieger, just before elk season in 2009. Put the bipod on for the pic. It now sports a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14xAO with Ballistic Plex reticle.

Clays at 600 aren't easy but with a good rifle and a cooperating wind, they aren't that hard, either. Just before the 2010 elk season I checked out the two rifles I as taking, a .300WM and .30-06, taking a total of 5 shots at 600-yard pigeons. Got one hit with each. Daughter #3 had never shot at 600 yards as far as I know or recall but last time we were at the range (Christmas give or take a couple days) she fell in love with that rifle. She missed the 600-yard pigeons on all 5 of the shots she took, but three were just under and two were just above - all easily in what looked to be an 8" group. Had I zeroed one of the cross-hatches in the scope at 600, instead of making her interpolate between them, I think she would have gotten hits.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.