Most of my own friends (of faith) aren't entirely well schooled in the actual history of the book they profess to believe in. Quizzing them about their knowledge of how the many included books came to be allowed in (and what was left out - and why) isn't a conversation too many of them relish.
And why would they? Few relish a discussion with someone with an agenda to discredit what they hold precious. Particularly when much of the purported "actual history" is rife with conjecture, assumption, politics and agenda.

I would suggest that the "knowing virtually nothing" my Brother in Christ spoke of has much to do with the understanding of faith. A faith that, though we Christians sometimes can struggle to live for, we would willingly die for. Such a faith cannot be extinguished, though it has been tried and put to that test repeatedly for over 2,000 years. Such a faith will only end when the One who brought it to the world, returns to perfect us and fulfill it.

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.