Originally Posted by RickyD
Demanding loyalty is a human not godly trait.

Appears not.

Exodus 20:4-6
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
KJV

Afterall, we are created in His image and after His likeness. We share the same traits, it's just that ours our corrupt and His are perfect.

RickyD is right. Yes, it's true that demanding loyalty is a human trait -- it's one mark of God's image on us, and it's corrupted. I'll add to that. The whole point is that no human is worthy of worship. Only God is worthy of worship, and we benefit from worshiping him because only then are we rightly related to him.

To Brian's long post I can only say that he isn't alone in trying to reduce God to human logic, but he should know that it can't be done. When someone thinks they have succeeded, what they're really doing is worshiping self. By trying to reduce God to human logic, we're attempting to make God as small as we are. Such a God would be unworthy of worship, and we would easily usurp his place. That's how cults begin.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt