I shot a fox once, just after it had pulled a vole out of its tunnel beneath the snow. It was standing about 50 -75 yards away looking straight at me with the vole in its mouth. The 225 NBT I fired was pushed by a compressed load of 748 which broke 2300 fps by the barest of margins near the muzzle. I found the rodent's head 5-10 yards away from the scene to one side. The tail, etc, was the same distance away the other direction. As well, there were greater quantities of fox bits and kibbles in an equally wide arc. There was no mistaking what that bullet did. OTOH, I shot a good-sized bull caribou once, perhaps close to 100 yards away. It was a simple broadside, side-to-side rib/lung shot. The animal immediately did the "dog nap" thing (making a few quick circles before lying down.) The 100 NBT fired from the 25-06 pencilled its way through both sides. The difference between exit and entrance were indiscernable. Perhaps it wasn't surprising however; that animal didn't have lungs. As near as I could tell, it was one of those creatures which does its air exchange via strawberry smoothy.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.