I have three 338WMs. A Savage 116, Ruger 77 MKII boat paddle and a custom 98 Mauser. Over the next two weeks I plan to test all three from different shooting positions to see which one fits me the best. From the bench the Savage shoots the best. But the Ruger feels the best when I handle it. No doubt the Mauser with it�s trigger is the toughest and will hold up the longest in the field. Had the Savage for a few years and have shot some Texas deer with it. The Ruger and Mauser are both new-to-me this year. I plan to take one of these hog hunting next week. We have seen tracks of what must be a 350 or 400 pounder at one of the water troughs.

There are no cattle on the property this year. With the lack of rain here in Texas they would not do well. We are trucking water in to hold the deer and hogs on the place. With the cost of corn, protein and the cost of hauling water, hunting in Texas is real expensive. I don�t find the recoil of the Savage 338WM to be bad at all. Just pull it into your shoulder real tight and hold on. It will kick but it won�t hurt.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member