I'm not really for, or against Savage's - being a Winchester fan grin. I am however a fan of the 338wm. I built one a few years ago on a New Haven Classic action and have never looked back.

Mine is:
- Model 70 New Haven Classic SS action.
- 26" Pacnor SS super match grade barrel
- action was blueprinted
- Williams extractor
- Williams one piece bottom metal
- MacMillan, hunter stock
- Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 scope

If the Savage is calling to you then you should buy it. You will not regret the 338wm. I cannot state that it kills any faster than a 3006 but it has dispatched critters steady with generally one shot since the start.

The first critter that it killed was a bull moose. I was breathing hard and actually screwed up on the shot snapping the spine at about 100 yards. That moose went down like a sack of potatoes! Since then all kills have been double lung and, with the exception of one large ill natured black bear, they generally run between 20 to 50 feet and pile up stone dead.

I shoot 250 or 275 grain bullets. These seem to fly well at distance and give great penetration and expansion. As well, I can generally eat the meat right up to the hole on either side.

The only cautionary note I would offer is recoil. Personally I don't experience it as noteworthy and can sit at a bench and shoot 50 - 100 rounds without issue. However, recoil is individually experienced and some will say the 338wm is tough to shoot. If you find the recoil of a 3006 stout you may not want to buy a 338wm.

Good luck with your purchase.