Originally Posted by Greyghost
The company should have cared more about continuing the quality of their product, instead they got greedy!

I've got no sympathy for them... help move quite a few companies to mexico back in the 70's when all this crap started, and a good majority of those I helped move back within a year or so...

Phil

It was not greed- it's the marketplace for lower end knives.

Most folks will not spend more than $29 on a working grade folding knife. PERIOD. Can't build them in the US to sell at that price point.

Schrade, and Camillus went BANKRUPT doing it. Bear and Sons tries, but their sub $50 knives are SCHIT for quality.

The only knives Buck outsourced were the $30 and under knives. NONE of their higher priced classic knives like the 110 folder and 119 fixed blades were ever made in China.

The smartest thing Buck Knives did was leaving CA. They KEPT 250 jobs in country by moving to IDAHO and now are doing well enough they are bringing even the low end stuff home.

I'd say they are doing as well as they can for themsleves, their customers, and the American worker.

If you want to be pissed off at something as a gunsmith, get on the telephone and ask Pachmayr and Hogue why they cannot even make a [bleep] $30 RECOIL PAD in the US- They are ALL made in Mexico.

Nothing like staring at a $14,500 Echols Legend rifle and knowing the pad was made in Mexico.

Pretty sad.

Last edited by jim62; 10/25/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt