Originally Posted by jim62

Their folders like the Vantage are VERY well made knives, and are made in S30V with G-10 scales for less than $60. Nothing "mediocre" about them.

Pauls Bos ,who headed Buck's heat treatment shop for over 40 years has forgotten more about heat treating blades than most custom makers will ever learn.

jim62;
As I mentioned in my initial offering on this subject, we came away from the factory with a couple Vantage Select knives, one for me and one that our eldest decided she wanted badly enough to buy with her own money.

It works fine for her. grin
[Linked Image]

After using mine for a season, our youngest inherited it as I wanted to try some of Buck's flavor of S30V. Through a bit of ineptness on my part, I ended up with two Vantage Pro knives - which has turned out to be about the most pleasant mistake I've made in some time.

One afternoon I decided the "hunting edc" one needed orange scales, so I made some up from G10.
[Linked Image]

Anyway, after the using the Paul Bos heat treated knives into the second season now, I would opine that indeed his method of heat treating does make a longer lasting edge than some other makers blades with the same steel.

The final obligatory "knife in use" shot, to provide evidence that I really have used them for any skeptics out there. wink
[Linked Image]

Anyway, this BC hunter has peeled a few animals with the Vantage Pros and carried one a lot at work too. I'm very happy with their performance.

All the best to you jim62 and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"