Originally Posted by jwp475

I agree with Doctor Roberts, I will not use the 125 gain JHP in a 357 the 158 is a much better choice for any and all situation that may be encountered

I'm glad you agree with the friendly dentist that a slightly heavier bullet at a slightly slower velocity is "a much better choice" (Much better- really? The differences between the two are miniscule, when comparing weight and velocity alone), but anyone with a half a brain knows that the 125 gr SJHP is most decidedly NOT a bad choice for personal self defense.

The bullet did not become a legendary police "manstopper" because it doesn't work.

With regard to .357 magnum weights and anti-human self defense needs, i would select the Barnes 125gr solid copper hollowpoint over any lead 158hp made anywhere- ever. Much like Roberts, i like this Barnes bullet in pretty much every caliber offered, and use it in my .380s and 9mm's.

In 5.7mm, i use Elite S4M out of my FsN pistol. This round shows real world independent velocities in the 2550 fps range with a stock threaded barrel (and just about 2500 fps flat in a standard barrel). This round penetrates over 12" in all the gel tests ive seen. Both from Brassfetcher and in various user posted videos. Due to the nature of spitzer bullets, it is going to yaw and tumble in flesh. It's simple physics, and all the videos bear this out. Given that the bullet is almost an inch long, we are talking about a pretty significant wound channel, even if the jacket doesn't fragment at all.

Oh yeah...and it'll defeat the best soft body armor on the market like it's not even there. (Elite advertises 30 layers of kevlar penetration from the FsN pistol. I have personally shot much less powerful SS192 which uses the same bullet as the S4M but at 2100fps through 48 layers of kevlar)

Anyone can go on ebay and buy police trade in concealment armor for peanuts. Sometimes under $100. So the possibility is very real that a home invader might use it.

I'd rather be secure in knowing that my home defense weapon of choice will blow through his surplus armor like a knife through hot butter, thank you very much.

Just to give a comparison, I've fired the following rounds in recent tests against a 20+ year old Level IIA vest panel composed of just 12 layers of kevlar:

Guns used were HK P7 in 9mm, Glock 20 in 10mm, Colt 1991A1 in .45acp, FN Five SeveN in 5.7mm:

10mm Nosler 180gr JHP: No penetration
.45 ACP 230gr Winchester Ranger T JHP: No penetration
9mm Corbon 115gr+P: No penetration
9mm Buffalo Bore 115gr+P+ (Montana gold HP): Clean penetration
FN 5.7mm 40gr Vmax (SS197SR): Partial penetration
FN "blue box" SS195 28gr OTM (1900fps): Clean penetration

After this test, i folded the panel over on itself (24 layers- most Level IIIA vests are about 20-25 layers), and re-shot it.

9mm Buffalo Bore 115gr+P+: No penetration
FN "blue box" SS195 28gr OTM (1900fps): No penetration

So out comes the powerful 5.7mm rounds....

FN SS192 28gr OTM (2100fps): Clean Penetration

So i folded it over on itself again....48 total layers:

FN SS192 28gr OTM (2100fps): Clean penetration

Elite S4M uses the same bullet at 2500fps.

Last edited by Valorius; 12/20/11.

I am Infantry- Follow me!