I've reached much the same conclusions myself. But not just with one or two.
Usually on my long distance hunts I take at least two rifles. One is a primary and the other is a spare. That's because I've seen alot of rifles break in the field. While I've had a few problems with zero shifts, so far, I haven't had one put out of commisson. But that can happen. I've seen it happend to others.
The main thing I've decided is (a) I need plenty of practice with the primary and it's load and (b) it needs to be regularly tested. If it isn't quite what I like or want, I'd much rather tweak or modify it than buy something else. Above all, it must show me that it is reliable. You'll never see me buy a rifle, develop a load for it and go hunting in the space of a few weeks. I prefer to test, and casually hunt mine for a year or so before they go on a serious hunt.
I do have other rifles for other types of hunting, of course. And I have a couple of big game rifles that are just there because I like them. But all of them are very similar. Almost all of my big game rifles are bolt actions. Most have M70 style safeties. They all are on the light side. Almost all of them have simple 4X or 6X scopes.
Seems to work pretty well. I haven't had to rezero a rifle in over 15 yrs. unless I changed the load I use. E