I wonder where Savage 99 found that quote of Allen's? grin

I abbreviated it in my signature line to fit within the allowable limits. It makes more sense in it's entirety:

Originally Posted by allenday
KC, I like the way you think........ grin

I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD

It really just depends on whether you are primarily a hunter or a rifle Looney. If you are primarily a rifle Looney that does not do that much serious hunting, then buying, tinkering with and shooting dozens or hundreds of rifles it fine. If you are a serious hunter, you can get distracted by the rifle obsession and wind up spending funds on unneccesary rifles at the expense of actually going hunting.

I have a friend that constantly whines about me going on several out of state hunts per year. All I hear are statements along the line of, "Geeze money bags, sure would be great to be able to blow money on tags like you" etc. The problem is, the guy has about 150 rifles in his built-in gun safe and he buys about a half dozen more each year. I have six rifles total and almost never buy a new one without selling another one. Unless you are wealthy enough to do both without one compromising the other, you have to pick your priority.

When I think of all the cash I have wasted screwing around with redundant rifles over the years it makes my head spin. I am sure I could have bought a couple of Stone's sheep hunts by now. grin

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/17/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen