Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by MILES58
I just loaded up some Barnes TSX 150s with LeverEvolution powder. Just over 2400 FPS! Max load is 28.5 grains. I got well under inch groups at 25.5 grains so the workup stopped right there. I wouldn't be afraid to go 200 with that combination. I think maxed out if the accuracy held up decently at all it would still run out of speed around 250 though. 30-30 bullets don't tend to have impressive BCs.

That load ought to flat out work. Are you using the regular pointy TSX or the ones with the flat noses? Latest info and tests says the old tale of no pointy bullets in tube magazines is hooey.

I used the 30-30 TSXs with the big hole in the nose and the flat tip. I don't believe I'd max that out with pointy bullets in the magazine and MY fingers wrapped around the forend. I think from they way the workup was going with my rifle and the LeverEvolution powder that by the time I got to 28.5, the published max, that I'd have been on the high side of 2700. It might work, but I'd be twitchy enough touching it off with that recoil I wouldn't be able to hit the ground.

Barnes 130s with the flex tip sitting on top of a little more LeverEvolution powder would be something though. I bet you could get 2900 with them or the Barnes 30 cal 110s.

Personally, I don't use my 30-30 for anything other than really close work. Those 150s at 2400are well more than I need.