Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by acooper1983
story bout out neighbor up at the farm, he's an old fella in his 80s now, but back when he was younger he was a crack shot with his old 94 win 30-30 They had some wild dogs that were harrassing cows out in a 40 acre pasture, story goes, and this was verified by 4-5 differnt farmers that were all hunting the dogs at the same time, that old jerome layed that old 94' across a corner post and killed the lead mutt clear on the other fence line of that 40 acre pasture with his open sighted 3030. that 40 is still there with the same fence, and i ranged it where he told me the dog was at 442 yards +- just as a closing, The last deer he killed was last year, a doe, at 203 yards with that 30 30 sitting right next to me, that damn;d 30 30 barely touched his shoulder and that ol 94 barked and that doe tipped over stone ass'd dead. Suffice it to say, i sure as heck wouldnt wanna be in front of him and that ol 30 30 even if he was in his 90s!

A dogs body at over 400 yards would be probably half as wide as the front sight tip, which would have to be held several feet above the intended target. The man must have been an amazing shot. I wish I had the means to fire the number of rounds with a rifle to get that good with it. That's one thing that fewer people are experiencing, which is a life where shooting is common around the house/farm.

he still is a helluva shot, i couldnt hit the barn if i was standing in it with open sights, its the only centerfire rifle he's ever owned, i believe he got it from his father. He just knew his gun, and depended on it to protect live stock and put venison on the table for his family.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"