Thanks to all! I am teaching fire school in Texas and gun is waiting for me when I get back. I left him a deposit and the deal is done. Just hoping I made a good buy. This gentleman is in his 80's, very wealthy and no reason to embelish. Now, that does not mean squat until I check all of this out as my main collection interest is Ruger No. 1 rifles, etc.

I was actually picking up some Unertl Scopes I bought from him when he took me to a room in his downstairs that was in effect a vault with leaded glass showcases on the walls. I looked at the gun but did not handle it as he detailed everything about how it left the hands of the general, and how he came into possession of it. It was in cosmoline for over forty years before he decided to have the local gunsmith that was a former army ordnance officer clean it. It was that gentleman that told him he had a sniper rifle that was both rare and valuable.

I am afraid to say too much in the event it isn't what it was described to me as, and worse yet if it is the dilemna comes as to whether to keep it, or find a home for it where it would get proper notarity.

I will eventually post photos as soon as I get it home and do some authenticating and contacting of the experts mentioned here. Also, thank you to those that have PM'd me as there definitely are a couple that do not seem to have a hidden agenda and are trying to assist me in authenticating the gun.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com