OK - Here is an update to my purchase of the M1D Sniper rifle according to a document that was in an envelope date 12-18-07.

QUOTING THE LETTER
"This 'MID' Sniper has an original Military 'SA 6-52' marked and dated 'M1D' sniper barrel assembly and as all 'M1D' Sniper Rifles are Arsenal built out of existing M1 Garands it is difficult to qualify the originality without Provenance, Sales Paper or Documentation. These were originally sold through the DCM or CMP programs and came with all accessories usually in unissued condition and in Arsenal shipping boxes.

As to this particular specimen I have found the following;

1. This 'M1D' barrel is mint and rated 100% original finish with mint bore and throat gauging only a 2, (*Do not know the head spacing of installed barrel).

2. Its very early WWII receiver with the '3860xx' serial number puts is manufacture appx Late 1941. The receiver appears to be original including 99% original 1941 Springfield Armory Factory metal finish, its matching period '2SA' revisioned numbered bolt and '3SA' revision numbered un-cut/never modified operating rod with these too having 99-100% original 1941 finish. Though the rear sight knobs have been upgraded with post WWII variation, all the receiver internals appear to be of original 1941 manufacture. The center barrel band and its 'solid pin' are also of early WWII era manufacture again retaining 100% of original Armory Factory metal finish. The gas cylinder assembly, front sight assembly including the sight screw cap and early 'single slot' gas plug are also original 1941 period more than likely off of the same original late 1941 Springfield Armory Rifle. The complete trigger housing is of Winchester WWII manufacture and all matching "WRA" with 100% original finish and again out of an original WWII Wicnester M1 Garand.

My opinion based upon what is see is that this is indeed a scarce late 1941 Springfield Armory M1 Garand that was used to build the current 'M1D' Sniper and would have a value of <$xxxx-xxxxx> range today. A number of these early 1941 M1 Garands were sent to Briton in 1941/42 on Lend Lease and came back into the USA appx 1950's/60's and known as "British Proof" M1 Garands in today's collector circles. The stock is in remarkably good concidition and could have been an armory stock that had never seen service based upon other wood furniture. I did not remove the factory leather cheek piece to inspect for arsenal markings. The butt plate is of WWII manufacture and has the original WWII cleaning pieces in its butt trap.

In addition to the estimated value of the Sniper Rifle itself, you may add the values of the following items as well to realise the total value of the unit.

Original Era WWII butt tool kit appx $xx-xxx

Original "MRT July 1952" marked and dated web sling is original and mint with its value appx $xxx-xxx

Original leather sniper cheek piece is "MRT 1-52" and is an original military part with appx value $xxx-xxx

Original "M-37" prong type flash hider is original and mint and correctly dated to that of the sniper rifle with appx value $xxx-xxx

Original "M-2" cone type early Springfield flash hider is original and mint and correctly date to thea tof the sniper rifle with appx value $xxx-xxx

The "M1D" Scope Mount is original with slight wear on its hinge that does not impair function or detract from overall quality of this fine specimen and is valued at appx $xxx-xxx

The M-84 Scope is original with excellent optics, adjustments, and retains original doors. The rear rubber eyepiece is original as is the refurbished but original metal sliding front sunshade. Its appx value is $xxx-xxxx

Again, if you could provide a letter of Provenance this could add significant value or place it as a valued museum quality piece. I have inspected thousands of M1 Garands and hundreds of sniper rifles and this by far is one of the most unique and well preserved specimens I have seen.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com