Now, having provided the above all I can add is this. The gentleman I purchased this from was an avid trapshooter from the central Illinois area and set a world record for 16 yd handicap in the late 1960's through early 1970's with an average score of over 99+. He shot trap with the plant manager of the Ford Motors Assembly Plant in Chicago IL. That particular gentleman was a high ranking Ford employee during the WWII era and retired as plant manager of the Chicago facility in the late 1960's. Supposedly he was given the M1D sniper rifle by a general from New Jersey as a gift. I am unsure as to the time period. When the Ford plant manager retired and was ready to move to Arizona he gifted the gun to "Jim", who I recently purchased the rifle from. I was just with Jim yesterday and asked him about the Ford employee who is deceased, if there were any way of tracking the origin of the gun. He presented me with a copy of the letter I shared in the previous post as he told me the legend of the gun died when his friend in Arizona died as he himself had never found it important to validate the gun until he tried in 2007.

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com