Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by bufaf
Formadilosus,
What type of reticle/turrets do you prefer...moa/moa, mil/mil, mil/moa, etc, etc??

Mil/Mil. MOA/MOA will work but since the military and LR tactical shooters want Mil everything is made in Mil. When you combine a mil based scope with a spotting scope with a mil reticle it's simply cheating.

I do not want people to get the idea that I/we advocate "sniper" rifles or scopes. I hunt a lot with Leupolds, 1/4 MOA adjustments and plain duplex reticles. What we teach in hunting courses while having similarities to, is not the same thing we teach in military/competition courses. That was one of the big things I picked up going to a bunch of courses over the years. Every LR "Hunting" class I've attended was really just a rebadged sniper course. A lot of the military LR stuff applies, and a lot of it doesn't. I want the hunter that comes to us with a wood stocked M700 in 270win and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS or B&C reticle (or whatever scope they have) to be able to consistently hit big game in the vitals at extended ranges under hunting situations. Even if you never use it, practicing at 5 and 600 yards makes 300-400 yard animals chip shots.

Common sense...great post.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.