I wonder what Elmer Keith would say about the cast bullets available in loaded ammunition?His load for the 45-70 was IMR-3031 with a 405 grain cast...

He new some about bear hunting also and said this:

After well over 40 years of bear hunting,including 30 years of guiding bear hunters,I have come to expect the unexpected.Bears are individuals just like human animals.Some are good natured individuals,at least until wounded while others are old soreheads hunting for trouble all the time.Some will take a lot of punishment and still try to get away.Others will charge at the first sting of a slug,if it does not disable them.Still others,probably one in 50,will charge unprovoked and to the finish.

I have known over 25 men who have been mauled by bears and lived.Several of them were in very sorry shape for the rest of there lives.All were terribly scarred and disfigured for the rest of there lives.(One lives here in Salmon: Lee Bradley who was nearly killed by a little black bear-blacks,as a matter of fact killed three men in Alaska in one year.)

Jayco