Featherweight action and bottom metal appear to be in good/nice condition considering it's vintage. After all it's 54 years old with little wear on the bottom metal, which went away with much carrying. From the pictures it appears that somebody took relatively good care of it when it was original. I suspect that it may have been re-barrelled due to a roached out barrel or someone really wanted a .280 Rem. on what appears to be a fairly clean mdl. 70 donor action. The action and bottom metal bluing looks better than most shooters I see in pawn shops and gun shows these days. The bolt has been jewelled, most likely by whoever built the rifle to its current configuration.
It's hard to venture a guess as to who made the barrel and smithed it together because I can't see any other markings besides the caliber stamping. It has a target crown though, which is nice. I don't believe there are that many synthetic stock makers for Pre's out there but if I was to hazard a guess, it appears to be an early Rimrock or Mickey, though some of the fitting looks to be a little rough for a custom smith's work. I subtracted the weight of the scope and mounts (about a pound)off the overall weight you mentioned and I'm leaning toward one of the better made lightweight stock makers. It's a fairly lightweight Pre-70 all up. I'm sure that that someone else here on the "Fire" will know exactly which stock it is.
Anyhow, without having it in hand, those are just my thought's about it based on the info and pic's you posted.
Again, hope the negotiations go well, keep us posted if you should get it, and if so, how it shoots.
Best,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member