Originally Posted by wabigoon
Speaking of deer in the South,how is the Atikokan area? I hear of the fishing. How is hunting birds,moose, and deer there?

The fishing is good everywhere in NW Ontario. I guess it all depends on what lake your on and what your preference is for fish but there are plenty of great lakes with public launches. Not sure you can find any better fishing on the planet really. I used to live on lake Superior in Marathon and that area is pretty wild too.

Game in atikokan..... Grouse numbers are low to medium but on the upswing. Ducks and geese are not as common or easy to hunt but there are some opportunities, not many hunting them around here. Bear are in good numbers like everywhere it seems. Wolves are high in number. Moose is doing reasonably well. Pretty darn good moose country. Deer are around but in pockets here and there. The closer to Rainy Lake you get the higher the density generally. There are deer on all the logging road systems and around them but some of the more fringe areas seen pretty serious decline in the last 5 years. A lot of locals do quite well year after year on local areas, mostly day lake rd south and Flanders rd south to Lac le croix. The hunting pressure in not as tough as the Dryden area. Me and my wife hunted there a 4-5 years ago for a week in late november and you could see the evidence of the hunting pressure. The pressure was still on too. It was nuts. The town of Atikokan itself has a small but growing population of deer and a few good bucks have had their picture taken in peoples yards...lol.