Originally Posted by boomer68
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
...........Oh good! I was really worried there! Not the fault of the round, the Wby rifles, but instead the bullet selection.

Too light a bullet moving too fast upon impact because it is fired from a much shorter range can cause some "holding together" problems.

But would that not also apply to ANY magnum caliber? See what I mean about Weatherby bashing. If a person takes a RUM to Africa in a PF Remington and uses the wrong bullet, would those same PH's condemn all Remington's and the RUM...nope, don't think so!
Ah well, as stated, I would pick another PH to pay my money to.

I wonder what guys on the Weatherby forums would say about this, probably have a good laugh. I always heard Weatherby had some of the strongest bolt actions known? If they can handle those high pressure bee cartridges, how much more so the lesser magnum & standards rnds?
Maybe the reputation with African PHs came from the clowns that would show up with their elephant guns biggest baddest .460 Weatherbys who could not hit the broad side of a barn?
But does the bad attitude for large caliber Wbys. translate to the guy who shows up with "classic" DG calibers like .600 & .700 nitro express and likewise cannot hit the barn???
Never hear much about that, and I am sure guys show up with bolts and the well heeled hunter with a double in a traditional African big bore?