I've been researching the same as of late. Both are top-notch pistols that anyone would be proud to own.

A Glock 19 is never a wrong answer. It was the standard in medium-size pistols for many years. There are tons of accessories and parts available for it. However, the reports of ejection issues in Gen 4 19s are very real and widespread. Regardless, I would be very happy with a Glock 19 as my only handgun if I had to make that choice.

The M&P 9 is a more modern version of the G19 with much better ergonomics. It seems to really fit most poeple's hands quite well. It is also ultra-reliable, and every bit as accurate as the Glock (in my hand, more accurate than the G19). It is also backed by Smith & Wesson, one of the truly world-class companies in terms of customer service and support. I love the M&P, and will be getting a Shield version shortly for my wife to carry and for me to carry while backpacking and fly fishing. I would also be very happy (happier!) with a full-size M&P 9 as my only handgun. If it has the new Shield trigger (which S&W says will start production this month), it would be an easy choice for me over the G19.

The Walther PPQ is better than both. It has even better ergos than the M&P and a superior trigger to both. According to reviews and my own personal experience, it is easier to shoot well than either of the other two. It really has to be handled and fired to be believed. It is an outstanding pistol comparable to the HK P30 but priced like the Glock. It's the best value in a semi-auto 9mm on the planet, if you ask me, and is also backed by S&W. Do yourself a favor and rent one. It'll make you forget the other two in about 30 seconds. To put it simply, it is the new reference standard in striker-fired, polymer-framed 9mm pistols.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 05/09/12.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?