What would really drive you nuts is the "fact checking" done by National Geographic.

I did an article for NG on the Missouri Breaks in the late 1990's. The editor loved it, and sent me a nice check really quickly, but pretty soon I was contacted by one of the 275 fact checkers then employed by the Society.

Among other things, she contested my statement about several inches of snow being on the ground in the early December in Jordan, Montana. She said the nearest weather station hadn't recorded any snow in December by that date. I had no explanation for that, but did walk around in the snow in Jordan. After two weeks of badgering me every other day or so, she finally called (ay 10:30 in the evening) and said, really quickly, "There was a snowstorm on November 29th," then hung up.

She also questioned Steve's Fork of Big Dry Creek, the name of a really dry drainage where one of the ranchers I interviewed lived. It is called Steve's Fork on the road signs in the area, and on every map in existence EXCEPT the really old USGS map--which calls it Steve Forks, an obvious typo. I told her all that, but when the article came out there was Steve Forks.

Several other people I know who've written for NG have told me similar stories. One was assigned to write up Seney, Michigan and the Fox River that flows through it, the area Hemingway wrote about in his famous short story "Big Two-Hearted River." Not only did the fact-checkers pester him continuously for three weeks, but the photographer used photos from a DIFFERENT river, because the Fox wasn't scenic enough.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck