As has been stated, computers are just a tool. Even when they mess up it is the writer's responsibility to get things right.
The really good editors, in my opinion, are really left-brained technical people. I am severely right-brained. Almost dysfunctionally so. There is nothing I value more than a good editor. I got a great one at 17 when I went to work for a man who had been managing editor of the Denver Post and went from private to captain on a battlefield commission and promotion in Europe during WWII. He would not tolerate mistakes, sloppiness, or a lack of attention to detail. My most successful article was made so by the editors. I owe them for the fact that it went world-wide and appeared in two editions of a collegiate textbook. My best novel was largely the result of the editor. She was terrific and I've yet to find another like her. But many writers don't want an editor. They think everything they write is divinely inspired and shouldn't be touched. This is especially true in Christian publishing where I have done about half my work.
But, I still say that at the core, technology is most to blame. People are impatient. Some schools are no longer even teaching cursive because they say there is no need for it. We're sacrificing beauty and discipline for the instantaneous.