Originally Posted by mtrancher
There is actually a wiring in the human brain that makes it all but impossible for a writer to edit his own work. I think I came across this in one of Temple Grandin's books. Because of in-house politics in a publishing company, I once ended-up final-editing one of my novels (copy edit and style edit). It's misery. If I come across the anatomical/physiological description Grandin explained I'll post it. But of course, it has to do with a writer "seeing" what he wants to say or thinks he is saying rather than the words on the screen. The more rewrites you've done the harder it is. That's one reason why topnotch freelance copy editors charge around $80 an hour. Another problem in today's world is the transcription software some people use. I have a friend who ministers all over the world. He was using this software to send an email to a conference host in Regina, SASK. The software could not translate "Regina." You can imagine what these church leaders received instead.

a form of that is why i cannot proofread.....my brain does the "auto-correct" thing no matter if its my work or someone elses.....on a related note this very thing is why im the person on staff assigned to decipher the stuff people send in that no one else can figure out.....generally i can....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books