Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm no expert at this stuff, but I would look for something light and hard with proper layout,(quarter sawn?).....you don't want to mix a heavy piece of (say) Bastogne with a light action like a G33/40.Wood is not judged by looks alone, but beauty in a wood stock is important, too.

I would look for something with great contrast and color,showstopper type,and spend as much as I could on a quality blank that has been long and properly dried...it costs as much for a quality stockmaker to work on a cheap blank as an expensive one.

This can get touchy...seek expert advise from guys on here like Butch Lambert,TC1,Jim Anderson,RinB,Jkobe,and others....these guys are a wealth of knowledge, have BTDT many times on higher end customs and "know" custom rifles, both metal and wood.

You will spend lots of money.Do the homework. smile

Very true comment on the stockmaker cost. Trying to do my homework by this post. I have very definite ideas on what I want this rifle to look like and the stock is going to be the most expensive part of the rifle. Not going to screw around too much with the metalwork other than a 3 position safety and either Conetrol or S&K mounts. Probably going to make a bullet trap from a design I've had rattling around in my head for 10 years or so. Quality barrel from Shilen, Kreiger or another good maker. Nice light profile but probably a 24" rather than a 22". Having seen my buddy Splattermatic knock the crap out of a cow elk with his .280AI, I think I will go that way.

Or I could go with a .270 to go with the Model 70 I bought with money my Dad left me when he passed. Yeah, I know, the .270 can't kill anything, practically bounces off the skin of elk and is marginal at best for prairie dogs but I kinda like it..... grin Did kill hundreds of deer in the UK with it so I guess it might just work on animals here in the USA....

Custom Leupold (yeah, I've heard all the stories about Leupold but they make scopes here not overseas) VX3 in 2.5-8 x 36 with a gloss finish, custom reticle and CDS dial.

Might leave the bottom metal as is but might change it out too. Might have a little bit of engraving but maybe not.

Nice to dream ain't it??? cool grin