Great information and I greatly appreciate the wisdom and knowledge passed on. I do have a stock design I would want this rifle to be matched to and it's in the picture. This stock is from a BSA Hunter .22 Hornet from the 1960's. The pattern is perfect for what I am looking for, lightweight, fits me to a 'T' and I really like the design.

[Linked Image]

Ignore the poor cell phone pic and the crappy Simmons scope it currently wears. Upgrade on the scope is overdue. Rifle is very nice, has a silky smooth action and a true Mauser claw, even for a .22 Hornet. My dad bought it many years ago and when he passed on, I inherited it. Lots rabbits and hares have been killed with this rifle over the years and I adore it for it's ergonomics and pretty perfect balance.

This is my idea of the perfect stock as it fits me. Obviously the pattern would likely have to enlarged a little to accommodate the larger 98 action but hopefully not by much.

I guess another question is how would my pattern stock be transferred to a black? On a duplicating machine with some additional packing/padding to increase the width/length?

Thanks again for the advice.