Originally Posted by stray round
Ah, the old victimless crime falsehood.

You ever see the mother find her dead OD'ed son in the morning?

The_Real_Hawkeye's analogy is much better than mine on this one.

How about mothers pimping out their 13yr old daughter for BJs to support a dope habit?

If pimping out minors is already a crime (with a victim), why do you need for the dope to be illegal?

How about someone who blew their brains out because the couldn't stand the hold drugs had on them?

First, I suspect such people are rare. I'm friends with a number of people who are drug addicts--some of whom have died of their addiction--and I've never known one to blow his or her brains out. Much easier just to get high again; then there's no bothering about the hold drugs have on them.

Secondly, people commit suicide because of screwed-up love affairs, because they're ugly and rejected by society, because they're crippled, because they're suddenly poor--for all kinds of reasons. Are you going to outlaw love or being ugly or poverty? It's not a convincing argument.

Legalizing an evil will never make our society better.

What has made our society so bad is the tyranny of government mandating and prohibiting all sorts of things it never had any business sticking its nose into in the first place. More mandates and prohibitions will only make it worse. Remove all the regulations and people will find ways to live fulfilling, productive lives--even if it's not the ways you would have chosen for them.

Do you really believe that legalizing dope will make America a better place?

Absolutely. Abolish all drug laws, all legal tender laws, all capital gains taxes, and watch the whole thing take off like a rocket, sez I.

Those who complain about the money spent due to illegalization will be the first to demanding tax monies spent to support these people and their habits due to this evil "disease."

You're thinking of liberals. The vast majority of the people on this thread--including me--are emphatically not liberals. It turns out that "not conservative implies liberal" is not nearly as helpful an oversimplification as Rush and Sean think it is.

You guys are trying to make a warped utopia just as those who try to create laws to restrict all behaviors, just another end of the continuium, thats all. The world you would create would be as miserable as the "tyranny" you despise.

Never fear: in a free society, people like you would be free to be ruled as brutally as you liked. If that was enough to float your boat, you'd probably be happy. Of course, if you needed to rule others against their will to be happy, it wouldn't be much fun for you, no.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867