I see a 185x as perfect for a 338 Federal, a 210 PT covers the 210 IMHO (but I think a 185-200 is ideal for the Federal, whereas I like 225-230 in larger rounds), so I'd jump right over the 210 in a Barnes and use the 225 in any round w/06 capacity.

As I said before, a 210 IS proven, I just like the 185-200 for trajectory and perhaps they expand better at Federal speeds at typical ranges...whereas the '06 and larger - the 225s are only 1-2" down in drop over the 210s (200 zero/400 POI), yet more BC/SD to work with...I just see no downside and little diff in recoil. 250s and up are another matter. For that weight, I like a 286/9.3 which is what I would run if wanting more bullet. Granted, I don't hunt alot of Long range...

Ghost- that 243/TSX combo will serve you well. Report back after some kills wink

Enjoy seeing bullet tests and debates. I sometimes wonder if this point is figured into performance:

A deeper penetrating bullet w/less frontal area indeed has a narrower wound channel, but is the TOTAL Volume of destruction throughout the bullet's path considered?

Likewise, a shallower penetrating bullet, due to greater expansion produces a wider channel.

Point being, are the two wound channels That different in total damage inside an animal?

I do believe application matters. What works great on a broadside whitetail i.e. an 85 BTHP Sierra from a 243 broadside, creating a wide channel, great shock for caliber, and not requiring alot of penetration qualities if placed BEHIND the shoulder.....is not likely what's needed on say elk. The TSX would do a much better job day in/out in the same round.

Just saying, it's not all apples to apples b/c doing penetration tests on inanimate object although very informative and having relevance, is not IMHO the end all in bullet tests.

So, although some bullets give shallow penetration but wider channels and others the opposite, application matters.

Klik - can you say what was the MV on that 120 Barnes on the 'bou and how far was the shot and the placement? It looks to be in the low 2K range at impact, my guessing.