Re; that 300 yds max comment on 338 Fed/185, I'd say that's reasonable. Layne Simpson reported in an ST article his bull died from one at 314 yds IIRC.

I'd trust a cup/core 200 or 210PT to expand better if we near 350-400 yds, but truly trajectory starts looking loopy at those ranges w/those loads.

That said, MOST all game I have shot has been under 300, so I do see the 338 Fed as a viable round. Best all around 33? Perhaps not.

Bullet test are interesting when it comes to what happens on wood vs. game.

Case in point - 243 Ruger #1, 20" RSI, 70 TNT 3400 (clocked from my rifle) - doe neck shot at 42 yds (yes my bud lasered it for the heck of it) - deer's neck just about torn in half.

Another time I fired a 6TCU - same bullet - runs about 3100-3200 mv, into a hardwood sapling - likely oak - it blew completely thru splintering up the backside - I was amazed it made it thru.

SO, the above posters point as to wood vs. game and how it relates is relative. Wood IIRC can close up a tip i.e. the HP on that TNT I was using....results might be inconsistent.

I'd rather test on say milk jugs w/water as a consistent media...not that it simulates meat/hide/bone...but it is a constant media..in liquid form wink

I think Barnes in the past had had 'flukes' and one DOES want to know what exact bullet and date/manufacture, as the Barnes have been a 'work in progress' and older first gen bullets I believe had many more of those 'flukes' - whether design and/or copper hardness.

One would want to test several bullets of recent mfg. in a consistent media like perhaps ballistic gel to get a better sampling and draw results that were day in and out, more consistent.

That said, I wonder how many animals have died over time, by bullets that some might consider 'failing a bullet test?'

Indeed, you might add, died and recovered to that question.