Originally Posted by GregW
I think it's kind of funny the east coast and out of country dudes who have probably never seen a coues deer let alone what some coues country looks like try to tell folks how it should be done -

Carry on with the advice gentlemen -

I'd get a fast moving 6.5 or 7, shooting a BC nearing or above 0.500, as fast as you accurately can if you need to get to 700 or 800 -

Guilty! grin But I have hunted the west more than some westerners,and seen the little dudes on Arizona elk hunts,along with some AZ coues country..... and it struck me that they are small animals,prone to disappear,tough to see in that scabby looking country,and not always easy to approach.I doubt they take much killing,like antelope.

I like Greg's advise and also Jordan's but not sure I'd run out and spend a pile on a new rifle if I had a 270 and a 300 Win Mag. Today you can find bullets for either coming within a knats hair of just about anything else.

I'd put the cash in a very top end optic,like a Nightforce or S&B rather than a new rifle,get to practicing with what you got and the best bullets for the chore,and be ready.It is really scopes and bullets which have made LR shooting practical today...not cartridges.

That said I would buy a 264 or 7Rem Mag if you want a new rifle for the hunt and don't mind spending the loot. 162 Amax's at 3200+ fps from the Mashburn makes things pretty easy to 600 yards,far as I can shoot,and that's what I would take,although I'd want more scope than the lightweight 6X it wears now.

Good luck!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.