I pride myself as a guide on getting it done with my client's ability. I'm not one of those guide's that says we have to get it done from here, hey if we have to get closer then let's try to get closer. Doesn't always work, especially on coues deer! It's their hunt!!!! First things that jumped into my head when reading this are a 115"+ coues buck at 600 and a 84" antelope buck at 300. Neither was comfortable with the shot so we attempted to get closer. Neither was brought to bag. I don't think either hunter was upset that he didn't try a shot but I KNOW both were upset that they weren't PREPARED for the shot. Oddly enough both were shooting a 7mm ultra mag and both were wanting shots around 200 yds and the whole time I kept thinking why the hell are we wasting all that power and burning that much powder for 200 yd shots?!?!?!

To the OP, like many have said already, If you want a new gun and have time to work up loads and get lots of long range time, then yes a 6.5 or fast seven would be great. If not the same process with your current rifles will yield the same results.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared