Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Travis,

Had not thought about the silencer issue. That would be a bad mama jama in .44. 300 grain Keith bullet at 800 fps would make a heck of a meatpole filler, if it will cycle them. Where legal ofcourse.

My friend and I built one. (His money, my support) it was a beautiful, beautiful thing.

240gr going 950 fed great, absolutely silent, and plenty deadly.

I believe we tried the 300's but they would not stabilize in the factory tube. His was fully suppressed, not a can, and he saved a few bucks using the factory tube. If I do one, I would go with a Douglas and faster twist.

Travis

Travis, what twist is Ruger using in that gun? I ask because I've messed around with a few different 44's including an early model Ruger carbine. It had the 1-38" twist and barely stabilized 300gr XTP's at 50 yards. Anything beyond about 50 was a crap shoot. I settled on 270gr Speer Gold Dots (flat point) for my heavy in that particular gun.

I was under the impression that more recent models had gone to the 1-20" twist rate, which seems like it would stabilize the 300's for your buddy, depending on construction/shape. Maybe it was the low velocity and resulting lack of RPM?

Anyway, these Ruger rifles seem like they'd be a ball to play with, especially with a can on 'em. Unfortunately, my home state doesn't allow suppressors for hunting. Idiots.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile