Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I didn't know untill now how light this rifle is.At 5.5 lbs I am going to have to take a closer look at it for my daughters first deer rifle.This is half the price of the Kimber we were considering and just as light.

How low can you mount a small objective scope? The pictures so far seem to have higher than necessary mounts.Is bolt clearence an issue?

We were looking into the Kimber in 223.Recoil in my 7 lb rifle with 100 grain 243 factory loads,was a bit too much for my daughter.What would recoil be like in one of these 77/357's ? She is 4'4" tall and 65lbs.

The problem in mounting the scope on the Ruger is not the objective, its the eyepiece. The bolt locks up right in front of the rear ring. The Ruger has a high "bolt lift". You have to use medium rings in most cases to allow the bolt to lift and clear the eyepiece during cycling. That's a negative for me. But not one that would be a deal killer. From the reports I've read, the extra barrel length in getting users a additional 200fps over a revolver.