Originally Posted by Torque
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action
2. Surgeon Long action bottom metal
3. Kreiger #2 24" 280 AI barrel (questionable)
4. McMillan Remington Hunter stock
5. Jewell trigger (I was kinda iffy on this one)
6. Leupold PRW rings
7. Glass is totally undecided

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

So, any criticisms or advice? Anything I'm forgetting?

Are you stuck on the Surgeon 1086? there nice but designed more for a tactical setup and pretty heavy, you might look at a Defiance or Borden action, a Rock Creek #3 5R barrel is the perfect hunting contour and they shoot awesome,save your $$ on the surgeon BM, an ADL would be cheaper and lighter, you won't find a nicer trigger than a jewell, if not a Jewell than get a regular factory trigger tuned by Niel Jones and by all means skip the Xmark, and it's hard to beat a Mcm classic for all around hunting unless the Rem hunter fits you better and a #5 is the smallest Kreiger will go on a SS .284, Bartlien may go a bit smaller but you would need to call Frank Green to find out,study the blueprints for other builds alot of info in there ,I would try to keep it 7 3/4- 8 #'s all up...good luck with your project!