Originally Posted by drover
I have owned numerous Jewell triggers for my competition rifles and generally have had good luck with them, the one issue I did have was an intermittent fail to fire (trigger would not release). I had not made any adjustment to it except to set it at an even 2# so it was not a self-induced failure, I sent it back to Jewell and they took care of it.

However with that being said I would be a bit hesitant to put one on a hunting rifle since that incident. I recently purchased a Shilen trigger and could not be happier, it was $85 at Midway, I put it on one of my varmint rifles, adjusted it to 1 - 1/4 pound pull, and with my electronic pull gauge it is within an ounce on every pull.

Here is where I am on it -
for competition (weight of pull less than 1 pound) go with the Jewell, for hunting go with the Shilen. I am thinking that the Shilen is one of the great bargains out there, the break is as crisp and clean-breaking as a Jewell (set at hunting weights), it was less than half-price and is a simpler design.

drover

The Shilen is somewhat less exspensive, but a Jewell is the best feeling trigger I've ever used,and I have yet to have any issues so I will run them till I do, I just think they get alot of negative press that is not warranted, If they are setup correctly and in good working order they work and feel great, I guess I could used a Shilen if I had to... smile