Originally Posted by Torque
I have done a lot of side work this year and have saved up enough to finally build this rifle. Here are the components and the plans for them. Any educated advice is VERY welcome. I plan on this being my every year hunting rifle, so please let me know if you think I'm making a mistake or know a better way to go.

1. Surgeon 1086 long action
2. Surgeon Long action bottom metal
3. Kreiger #2 24" 280 AI barrel (questionable)
4. McMillan Remington Hunter stock
5. Jewell trigger (I was kinda iffy on this one)
6. Leupold PRW rings
7. Glass is totally undecided

I'm sure I can't go wrong choosing a Kreiger, but my last project used a Lothar-Walther 26" 30-06 barrel and it shoots 1/2 MOA. So, Im torn between the two atm. I will probably go Kreiger since I have never owned one and would like to give them a try.

The jewell trigger is my other concern. They have a great reputation, but I have seen other choices brought up by some members.

Once the barrel is installed at Kreiger, it will head to Eddie Fosnaugh for Cerakote and bedding in the McMillan.

Glass is up in the air for me. S&B, Leupold are the two I have had experience with.

So, any criticisms or advice? Anything I'm forgetting?

I would change the #2 barrel to a #3. I'm not sure Krieger will even do a stainless #2 in 7mm.

Instead of the Remington Hunter, use the McMillan Hunter. The Remington Hunter will swallow anything short of a #4 barrel. The McMillan Hunter has a slimmer forend more suited to a lightweight barrel. If you're dead set on a Remington Hunter, then I would go no lighter than a #4 barrel.

I use Shilen triggers and really like them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14