I hunted Kevin's area last week, was fortunate enough to spend a couple nights in his house, and even coerced him into helping me pack elk meat! I also saw the LBO in person.

What you guys need to understand is that Kevin lives and hunts in some STEEP, tall, and rugged country. That drives his gear choices and designs. What he makes has to be reliable and functional, but also needs to be light weight and flexible.

My thoughts on the LBO:

- Summer/early fall, expecting nice weather - take just the base tarp. Pitch it with the open side facing a nice big spruce or pine and even an unexpected storm won't wet you.

- Expecting colder weather - Take the base and vestibule for a fully enclosed shelter.

- Expecting several days of rain or if the wife is along - take base, vestibule, and nest. The nest turns it into a double wall tent which helps with condensation. My wife hates bugs and dirt, so if she goes so does the nest.

Winter - I'd probably take the base and vestibule with a small woodburner depending on configuration. Maybe even two bases. I also own a BCS so it would be a tough decision between the two.

I can see the base tarp being used as a woodshed/awning/emergency tarp when base camping from a larger shelter. Also, the nest integrates into the BCS and the larger tipis, so it isn't a one trick pony.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 09/18/12.