Originally Posted by 7mmfreak
I hate when these discussions become a who's more righteous contest. It's like the difference between guys who shoot stickbows and those who don't. I personally prefer the ergonomics of a stickbow over a compound. I also think crossbows are complete and total BS (as it applies to ARCHERY ONLY SEASON) unless you are crippled.

Muzzleloaders are any arm which loads from the muzzle vice breech without regard to propellant or projectile. The only time it should matter is if your state has a PRIMITIVE WEAPONS season. In particular, Inline and Smokeless muzzleloaders are ways for guys who live in places with bad gun laws to hunt like rifle hunters. They may well live in places where they aren't choosing to shoot front stuffers for the love of traditional sporting arms.

I own and shoot both. I own and shoot custom wildcat centerfires. I shoot a longbow. I keep up with modern rifle competition but also keep a copy of Ned Roberts's muzzleloader book and a copy of the Witchery of Archery by my bed.

This is another divide and conquer thing. Or to paraphrase Franklin, hang together or hang separately. I wish shooters and hunters would work together to create synergy for preserving our sports.

Finally, something other than blah blah. I agree that the high horse righteous stuff gets real old.

For me, I hate stick bows because they hate me. Why? I just cannot shoot them. In my hands, I become an unethical hunter unless my shots are under 5 yards. I have a lot of respect for those of you who can and I have had the opportunity to shoot alongside a few of you. Good for all of you, you can hunt in my woods any day.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

I always thought that was one of the best parts. Along with the sweet smell of burned black powder.

It's what muzzleloader hunting is all about, and the original idea of a primitive season. Colorado put the muzzleloader season during the rut. It's supposed to an advantage to hunt during the rut, and it done because of the limitations of a muzzleloader. When you develop the ML to perform like a CF rifle. You've lost what the ML season is suppose to be.

At least in Colorado you won't be using your sabots and smokeless guns. So, that's some consolation.

That's what is is all about for you. Have fun and enjoy it. The "muzzleloader" season has evolved in many areas and I welcome it. Take your "legal" weapon of choice out and enjoy it, whatever it is.