Perhaps it's just a knee jerk reaction, but the purchase of a new rifle also immediately has me thinking of a new scope. I can identify with iron sights for some, nothing wrong with them in certain instances. Too much magnification has been a problem at times, particularly when the scope was left on high power from the target range, and the next thing you know I'm looking at fleas in deer hair....not good. I believe what I enjoy most with the fixed powers are the durability and size. They just look cleaner on a mannlicher, No. 1. A, or any smaller rifle. That's not for everyone either. Seems there was the rage (now thankfully over) for everyone to have the largest bell out front they could. Heck was it Leupold who even designed a non round objective so the scope could be mounted lower? Then came along all the other crap that just befuddles. Give me a smaller fixed 4x on any of my rifles and I'd be content, however ranges are short where I hunt, I could understand a bit more power out West or in open areas. Derby Dude, good luck on the cataracts, I've had the surgery; it's a piece of cake.