battue, how is the bird hunting going??? Is the slump over?? I hope so..I purchased a 3 day lic. here in Mich..More grouse than I expected..No kills, but interesting hunting..The country is very level here, next time I will bring a compass..It is also extremely thick in places..Different from the country I am used to hunting..My dogs did far better working these grouse than I felt they would..They are used to open country and ranging..For the most part they stayed pretty close.. Although the older one did tend to get out too far at times..My little pup, 6mths. old worked very close, but I think she was afraid to range out too far from Dad...With some opportunity, she would make a good ruffed grouse dog.
But talk about luck..the day before my lic. started I took the dogs for their daily hike..It was raining, and we made our usual circle..Our final leg was down an big power line..there right in the middle with clear shooting on both sides for 60 yards, my old dog flushes two ruffs..They sail away giving me perfect shots!! Beautiful to see, but a bit of a bummer..They would have been great shots, one flushed and the other came up a bit later..
Then today we were walking the same area, my lic. was up yesterday, and my old dog started making game, again she flushed two grouse, the first was gone before a shot could be made, but the second gave a great window of opportunity..But no license..

We will be ready for bear season on Sat. if I get moving from here..
My step daughter lives at State College..I will probably hunt that area on the opener..then some other spots as I visit friends..best of luck..

Molon Labe