The risk, however small, in using reloaded ammo (other than any risk of malfunction due to loading errors) would not be likely to exist in the criminal investigation of a shooting. The shooting is either justified or it is not. You will either be charged with a crime based on probable cause or you will not.

The risk would be centered on the civil proceeding that may follow a shooting, whether justified or not. Anybody can sue anybody for anything, and if you shoot somebody there is a great possibility of being the target of a lawsuit, regardless of the outcome of the criminal investigation.

In a civil suit, the standard of proof is a preponderance of the evidence, NOT proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The side that has the largest 'stack" of evidence will probably win. The use of reloads may end up being one of the items in the stack. It MIGHT be the final thing that sways a jury to a finding of gross negligence.

Personally I prefer to do the simple things that could reduce my risk, whether it is wearing my seat belt while driving or being a bit overcautious about the ammo I carry.

A good Plaintiff's attorney will study this subject and gather up every bit of manure he possibly can to fling at you in the courtroom, hoping that some of it sticks. Why supply him with an extra handful to throw?

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/20/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...