One of my favorite rifles is the .375 H&H Number One that used to belong to John Barsness! I got crazy once and offered to sell it back to him. THANKFULLY he declined, I came to my senses and treasure that rifle. Some owner between John and me put a Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad on the rifle, and it is pretty nice. I really don't mind the recoil at all. Was pleasantly surprised by what I'd describe as a big push, instead of the sharp recoil I was expecting. Yeah, it moves, but if a guy gives with it, no big deal. Typically I get about MOA accuracy, sometimes better.

Generally I shoot a load I also got from JB: 69 grains of RL-15 and a 260 gr Nosler Accubond. It's accurate as all get out and polished off a black bear at 306 yards in fine fashion. He managed to crawl all of about 8 - 10 feet after the Nosler went completely through him, wrecking everything in the path. Sad to say, that's the only big game I've take with the rifle.
[Linked Image]

Last summer though I had the .375 at the rifle range with a box of ammo loaded with the 300 gr Sierra. A rockchuck had the temerity to show himself while I was cleaning up and putting things away. For a moment I was unhappy, since I didn't have my varmint rifle along. Then I thought "Hey, there's a .375 in the Jeep." End of one rockchuck! grin
[Linked Image]

My son snapped this photo of me shooting it at 300 yards prone - which wasn't a problem. I use a 200 yard sight in distance, and the 300 yard gong rings easily enough, just aiming near the top of the gong. Maybe 9" of drop. Great practice since the bear managed to get shot at just over 300 yards!
[Linked Image]

A 100 yard sight-in target, from sitting, no bench, when I put the new 1.5-5x scope on it:
[Linked Image]

I've carried it on elk hunts and deer hunts, just for the heck of it, but haven't had a shot-opportunity while I've been carrying it.

Ridiculously large cartridge for deer, bear and elk? Yeah, probably, but it shoots great and sure is a lot of fun to load & shoot. The Ruger rifle itself is terrific. 1B pointed out that a spent cartridge case can get stopped by the safety. I've just trained myself to cant the rifle a bit when ejecting a spent round, and that works just fine. The short overall length makes a surprisingly compact hunting rifle. The accuracy is excellent, and yeah, I really like the way it carries and shoots. Somehow it became one of my very favorite rifles, though the cartridge is far more powerful than anything I need.

Regards, Guy