I'll comment on the .375 H&H cartridge, not the #1 rifle. As someone posted, such cartridges are often used for dangerous game and I want more than a single shot. Mule Deer may be able to to get a second shot off from rounds in his shirt pocket reasonably quickly but not nearly as fast as an experienced shooter can from the magazine. A double is faster still.

I have killed African game with .375 300 grain bullets ranging from impala--about as big as a white tail--up to elephant. I was not handicapped in the slightest. I believe that with a .375 I would not hesitate to take an elk with a Texas heart shot, as I once hesitated to do with a .300 Wby.

As for recoil, my .375 Model 70 is not unbearable. Recoil is A LOT less than my .458 Model 70. Felt recoil is less than my .300 Wby, probably because the .300 weighs less and thus recoils faster. If a Ruger #1 fits you, has a good recoil pad, and weighs the same, it should not punish you more than a bolt rifle.

The .375 H&H is truly an all around cartridge. Moreover, with a 300 grain premium bullet, you have an all around bullet, with the same load being useful for everything that walks smaller than an elephant. For them, you merely use a solid bullet with the same load.

Last edited by IndyCA35; 11/22/12.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.