The #1's are GREAT rifles! I've owned a few, mostly the 1-S in .45-70.

I traded a Ruger M77 in .458 WM for my first 1-S (slightly used).
I loaded it up to just about 60,000 psi (according to Accurate Arms)firing a 500gr Hornady at a tad over 2000 fps. (Accurate was getting 2100 fps from their setup using a 24" test barrel at 63,200 psi).

My second son owned a #3 that shot the same load at about the same MV.

After that, I traded my #1 for his #3, then sold his #3 and purchased a NIB #1-S in .45-70. It would do the same as the former 1-S and the #3. Then, I had it slightly modified, or long-throated, or "improved" by increasing the throat by .30". A world-class gunsmith friend did the work for $75.

Ballistics were increased, on average, by 200 fps, but with slightly less pressure in using slower powders.

I've been toting it a lot over the past 11 years for anything from wolf to moose. Haven't shot either of those with it yet, but it works great on bl. bear!

As I get "younger" grin, and have the wisdom of the 30 to 40-year olds, I use mostly 350's and 400's -- granted, at insufficient speeds of 2500 to 2350 respectively for anything beyond 50 yards!

About recoil: everything is "standard" on this rifle except for the long throat. Over most of the years it carried a Burris "Silver Safari" of fixed 4X by 20mm. It weighed 7.8 lbs "empty" with nylon sling and scope. This year I mounted a 2 - 7 X 32 Nikon "Shotgun Hunter" because I do a lot of bear hunts over bait on the edge of darkness, and needed more light as I get "younger" laugh

I don't shoot 500s anymore, but they generated about 75 - 80 ft-lbs in the "improved version". I shot a bear with that load and didn't remember the recoil... I also shot a coon with that load dressed in a light T-shirt. I felt it, but it was not an "earth shattering" experience.

True, I'm probably in better shape than most who are fast approaching their 77th, but I'm only average size: 5'-9" and 175 - 180 lbs out of the shower. (at one time I was 215!).

That's not to boast: I give God the credit, but I have to wrestle with my mind to try to understand where some are coming from when recoil is discussed. crazy

I think JB has hit the nail pretty squarely again.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus